Heroes Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Network for Real Life Superheroes to have a place to socialize, network, and also teach and learn from each other.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I am Hero Man

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 1:10 am

Hello.

Some of you may know that I was going to change my name from Hero Boy to Hero
Man when I turned twenty-one, but that is no longer the case. In recent events,
much has changed. For starters, I just became a Firefighter today; I’ve been in
classes and training all week and got my Certificate upon completion of todays
final class: Field Day. Meaning, the Incident Commanders took us all out to the
river and lit the land on fire and had us put it out. They had engines on site
though in case we couldn’t handle it. But we hung in there and finished the job,
covered in soot and ash and sweat afterwards, dripping with water from the four
hundred feet of hoses hooked up to the Mark 3 pump. Some of us didn’t make it
(as in failed the class). One of the individuals was a friend so it was sad to
watch him get turned away while I had been chosen to stay on. I scored highest
in the class; I got 99% on two of the tests, 100% on another test and flew
through field day with flying colors and my Red Card is awaiting me at the
Office for me to pick it up on Tuesday once all the paper work has been finished
on their behalf.

Aside from being a
firefighter now, I have been staying true to an ideal I hold for quite some
time: Family. My mission is to make my little spot on the earth a little
brighter. I’ve come such a long way from a scrawney little kid locked in a
concrete cell with excessive amounts of tranquilizers coursing through my veins.
I’ve come such a long way from being mentally ill and having regular panic
attacks from all that happened back in Utah. I’ve come such a long way.
And
today, my father declared me a man. He told me flat out, “Son, you ar enot a boy
anymore, you are a man.” He told me, “In life it’s considered a tradition for a
father to present his son with a knife as a rite of passage into manhood.” He
gave me a Leatherman Supertool. He’s had it for as long as I can remember. He
told me he has had it for most of his life, and that when his father declared
him a man, that he gave my father his leatherman. And now, it wasmy turn to
carry it. And he told me for the first time that he was genuinely proud of me. A
few tears escaped. He has no idea how long I’ve waited to hear him say
that. And he's right. I am not a boy anymore, I am a man.

Stay true. Stay free. Stay safe.

–Hero Man
Back to top Go down
The Grandmaster

The Grandmaster

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 9:54 am

Congratulations on the step up to manhood. Welcome to a new kind of brotherhood.
Back to top Go down
Optimyst

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 2:47 pm

Congrats
Back to top Go down

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 3:54 pm

Thank you both. Smile
Back to top Go down

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Way to go Hero Man
Back to top Go down

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks Dark Ghost. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tothian
President & Founder of the Heroes Network
Tothian

Titles : Real Life Superhero, Marine Corps Veteran, Warrior
Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Hero Man,

Cool. Time to save the world!
Back to top Go down
http://www.Tothian.com

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 10:16 pm

Indeed!
Or at least the Countryside haha...which is like...everywhere here! In this State which is like, one third the size of the United States of America. There's a fire down south that got started way back, 1809 I believe. Fucker's still going; that's like, hell down there. Well heck, it feels a lot like hell in any wildfire! It's not the flames that kill firefighters, usually it's smoke inhalation, or their skin being burned off from the radiation; the flames by then would reach you, and then slowly, then you die....they showed us a lot of videos from helmet cams....I hope mine is never up there.

--Hero Man
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

Titles : Real Life Superhero, Marine Corps Veteran, Warrior
Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Oh wow. I didn't know that there's fires out there that are STILL going? Has there been any progress at all with it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.Tothian.com

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:29 am

Nope. No hope at all. They're annual. Once a year it goes up and we get called to go contain it.

The reason they keep coming back and why Alaska is such a dangerous extreme for firefighters is because the ground has such an excessive amount of peat moss under the surface. Tons of it. So when a fire is started, we may be able to contain and control it and extinguish the flames, but the ground underneath the earth is still burning. When we get into summer here, the RH% nosedives and it doesn't take shit for one of those embers to ignite some flashy fuels or root systems, starting it all over again to the point it's an extremely dangerous force of nature. We're pretty well trained though and so only a little bit of the forest is diminshed each year. No two wildfires are the same, but fire is a lot like a living creature, a lot like humans. No two people are alike, but all people have specific behaviours, traits and habits and whatnot, and can be predictable and so that's a big advantage. Each year we learn something new and develop better techniques, most lessons being learned from firefighter deaths.

--Hero Man
Back to top Go down

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 12:32 am

A small ember could burn under ground for centuries and pop up anywhere, traveling almost because of all the fuels under our soil.
Back to top Go down
The Wall Creeper

The Wall Creeper

Titles : Veteran Crime Fighter

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 2:55 am

I had forgotten about peat moss. I thought you were going to explain about the still-burning fires from coal veins underground! Congratulations across the board. Emergency personnel is so necessary, and specifically where you live, firefighting is a critical necessity.
Back to top Go down

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 3:45 am

Indeed. And we have that hear too; burning coal veins underground. XD
Do you have training in firefighting as well? Smile

--Hero Man
Back to top Go down
The Wall Creeper

The Wall Creeper

Titles : Veteran Crime Fighter

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 4:43 pm

Hero Man,

No, to be honest when you work in a major city police department, you tend to hate firefighters there. I have always appreciated and respected them, but Denver Fire absolutely suck. I avidly hate them!

I lived in the mountains for years, and the firefighters have seriously saved my house from destruction on more than one occasion. I've done tactical EMS, but no fire. Maybe you can tell me about your training sometime.
Back to top Go down

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 6:48 pm

Coolness. Smile
Haha, and don't worry, Delta Wildlnad Firefighters are probably the most infamous Widanders in the firefighting industry; no joke I learned Delta Junction is practically famous for their firefighters. We don't deal to much in structure fires but moreso wild forrest fires. We have sort of an issue with the Oregon firefiighters who get called up here occasionally or when we get called down to the lower 48 because their units can't handle it haha.
I'll be posting more on the training on here; a lot of it can be incorporated by RSH, especially on patrols; it's really changed my views when it comes to patroling; I used to be against patroling because it's so dangerous and doesn't do much towards solving isssues but only sorta puts a band aid on it; like sweeping dirt under a rug; eventually it will fester and rot. But with my training I'm seeing how to conduct safety patrols much more...safely haha. In the firefighting business we call them handcrews; you never fight fire without a handcrew. Same rules apply to patroling. Smile

--Hero Man
Back to top Go down

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Im so thankful for
the permafrost
The tons of layers of
ice under the ground
here so that fires dont
start up Anyways Congrats
Heroman
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I am Hero Man Empty
PostSubject: Re: I am Hero Man   I am Hero Man I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down