Heroes Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Network for Real Life Superheroes to have a place to socialize, network, and also teach and learn from each other.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A question about gun shot victems.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

A question about gun shot victems. Empty
PostSubject: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 4:13 pm

What is the best thing to do for a gun shot victem while wating for a amulince to arive?
Back to top Go down
Tothian
President & Founder of the Heroes Network
Tothian

Titles : Real Life Superhero, Marine Corps Veteran, Warrior
Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 5:34 pm

Good question. Most likely if you're making the call to 911 to send an ambulance, they'll likely tell you what you'd need to do, but it's still a good question for reasons such as:

-So you won't be as much in a panic if you have an idea beforehand.

-Know if you'll need any type of gear for this, and if so, then what.

I'm not an expert on first aid, but just from the little bits I know, I do know that you want to keep the person calm, keep the wound elevated, and use some form of cloth if you can to wrap around the area of the wound, such as if it's on the arm or leg, but on other parts of the abdomen or head, I'm not too sure about that exactly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Tothian.com
Black Coyote

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 6:08 pm

I found this video very helpful..

Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 10:58 pm

Black Coyote,

Thanks for sharing the video.
Back to top Go down
DarkShadow
Former Vice President of the Heroes Network
Former Vice President of the Heroes Network
DarkShadow

Titles : The Umbra Obscurum, DS, The DarkShadow, He who wields the Blade of the Whirlwind, the Lightning Blade

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2012 9:33 pm

A standard medical kit should be mandatory for all Utility Belt users. There's something in the market called Quick-Clot. Amazing stuff. I saw it used once on someone who was stabbed, Granted it made me sick to my stomach to see all that blood but the EMT who treated the victim knew what he was up against. His partner got a tourniquet on the person's arm while he ripped open a Quick-clot pack, dumped the powder into the wound and the bleeding, which was rather heavy, stopped in an instant, enough to stabilize the victim enough for additional treatment and transportation to a nearby hospital. This stuff is great should you ever need it and trust me....it works.

DarkShadow Rising...
Back to top Go down
Enigma

Enigma

Titles : Enigma

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:23 am

1 Apply a dressing over the wound, wrap the dressing firm around the wound and tie a knot directly over the wound, if the bleeding persists the take another dressing roll it into a ball and place it on top of the wound and tie it down.
option two. Apply a tourniquet 2 to 4 inches above the wound very tight. You can use anything as a tourniquet, belts, shirt, cloth and anything you can use to tie it down. When finished, document the time you applied the tourniquet so paramedics know how long it's been there.
third. Gunshot to the body. Apply dressing, wrap it around the body and tie the knot above the wound like before, check for an exit wound just in case so he's not bleeding out from the back and you don't know it. Apply pressure until help arrives, do not move the victim unless you must.
4rth. Carry tampons on your medic kit, it's not a joke, it works. Stick the tampon into the bullet hole for a temporary fix, it can save a life.
5th, if shot in the chest area. Look for sign for chest decompression or collapsed lung. This is very important, most people shot die from bleeding and not breathing. Check if he is breathing short shallow breaths and is becoming pale. If he has a gunshot to the chest and you see he cant breath. Take a plastic, any plastic and place the plastic over wound and tape it down on all sides to seal the lung. do the same on the back if there is an exit wound.
Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 am

More info on sucking chest wounds (be it by bullet or stab wound) is here: http://firstaid.about.com/od/shortnessofbreat1/ht/09_How_to_Treat_a_Sucking_Chest_Wound.htm
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 am

DarkShadow,
That is true that it should be mandatory that we all have some kind of First Aid equipment on us - especially if we have a utility belt (by that I obviously don't mean like a rule to enforce, but as like something that we should ourselves as individuals consider like a top priority) if not to help ourselves when we need it but also other heroes and also civilians too.

Enigma,
That is good info! Thanks for sharing it here.

ShowStopper,
That's also a good link with good advice. I'm glad you found that and posted it here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm

I have a dinky little first aid kit for minor stuff, but for big stuff I usually come up with my own ideas.

I have a box of tampons in my truck specifically for bullet wounds. Force a tampon in, then get some duct tape. Voila, enough time to get to a hospital without bleeding out, and no cut off circulation.
Same thing for stab wounds. Tampons are very handy first aid tools; never leave home without 'em.
The stuff in my dinky first aid kit: Needle/thread, gauze, alcohol wipes, band aids. Not much; I try to save everything in it as much as I can and would like to look into getting some epinephrine injectors.
Another thing that happened once was a little girl who's throat got smashed in; she was holding her head up on the back seat of their van; the mom had to brake suddenly, and the girl went forwards; the seat crushing her adams apple area.
I was in the right place at the right time, and I didn't have anything on me, but I rushed to help anyway. I immediately asked the father for his leatherman which I obsevred on my way over at near max speed. He handed it to me and I was so greatful for his quickness and that I didn't get stuck with some clutz, I got the sense that he may have been in the military, feel stupid now for not asking him for help; I was on autopilot now though. I flipped open the knife, thanking the powers that be again that it was nice and sharp and the man took good care of his equipment. I visualized the template surgeons have for making incisions on the throat; saw it online a while back and also saw what I was about to do on the series Jericho. While I was doing this I asked them for a pen, or a straw; they had a gel pin and I dismantled it to get the tubular part, and after making a small vertical incision in the girls throuat I inserted the straw like object into the hole, and slipped it into her trachea.
I put my lips to the pen-tube and exhaled slowly. She woke up, and was breathing fine.
"You, call an ambulance." I directed the mother.
"Leave this in there until they arrive and it sould all be fine." I told them. I got some blankets out of my truck and wrapped the girl up then carried her to their behicle and propped her up. I waited with the family until the ambulance arrived, after I knew they were all safe I nearly fainted, got in my truck and went home.
How did I do it? Four parts watching television (House, ER, Jericho, Greys Anatomy, etc) and one or two parts sheer dumb luck, and a part to my brains defense mechanism of my becoming super focussed when shit hits the fan instead of the typical panicky response some have. I lose all emotion, and zoom into a state of "nothing on gods earth will keep me from my mission!" state. Another gift from the Director...
But yeah...a lot of the first aid I have to do is impromptu where I don't have my stuff all with me, so I have to be creative and quick thinking.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question about gun shot victems.   A question about gun shot victems. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A question about gun shot victems.
Page 1 of 1