Heroes Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Network for Real Life Superheroes to have a place to socialize, network, and also teach and learn from each other.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Holmes directory

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Captain Knight

Captain Knight

Holmes directory Empty
PostSubject: Holmes directory   Holmes directory I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 03, 2011 4:52 pm

http://www.readsherlock.com/

Before I got my hands on a copy of the Complete works this is where I read the Holmes stories, alot of the skills he has and the descriptions therein are very useful and I practice many of these techniques myself mostly Modus Ponens the the logic of coming to the truth by eliminating all false or impossible conclusions to show the only possible outcome based on the evidence and facts at hand. I will probably end up putting something up on it if Tothian doesn't beat me to it that is.
Back to top Go down
Tothian
President & Founder of the Heroes Network
Tothian

Titles : Real Life Superhero, Marine Corps Veteran, Warrior
Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

Holmes directory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holmes directory   Holmes directory I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 1:55 am

Very cool! Thanks for the link!

And yes, that is a good technique. Also, observing people and situations a lot, you eventually begin to see patterns repeat themselves.

Over time, it can get to the point where you almost feel psychic. But it's like this perfect balance of logic and intuition.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Tothian.com
Tothian
Tothian

Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

Holmes directory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holmes directory   Holmes directory I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 1:59 am

And not to mention I'm a huge fan of the Sherlock Holmes stories.
Back to top Go down
Captain Knight

Captain Knight

Holmes directory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holmes directory   Holmes directory I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 4:24 am

Correct on all count Tothian, Reading these stories has real world practicality and usually leads to a fascination with criminology and Bartitsu lol
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

Holmes directory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holmes directory   Holmes directory I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 6:13 am

For me, Criminology. And more Detective related stuff. And enhancing my knowledge for patterns, which unfortunately can literally make someone insane, or have OCD.

From reading the books, I haven't gotten to know much about his Bartitsu, because usually for the real dangerous stuff, he makes sure that he and Watson have their pistols on them before they get a criminal.

In the movie, he had an interesting fighting style, but the part of his fighting that caught my attention was the way in which his mind was able to quickly calculate what his opponent would do 5 moves in advance. As in, if he did this, what the other guy would do to his attack, and what his response would be to that, and what the other guy's response would be to that. It's various thoughts moving very quickly.
Back to top Go down
Captain Knight

Captain Knight

Holmes directory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holmes directory   Holmes directory I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Well as with any martial art form you will see meditation infused to one degree or another and why do you train in slow movements, to prevent injury sure but it is also so that your mind can take in everything it is seeing so that when it actually happens you will react on reflex instead of thinking about it. I would imagine his fighting in the movie was more or less an example of how training in any skill to the point where it becomes basic and part of your core can have an extraordinary effect on how fast you react, which is why whenever Watson is astounded by his skill in the book's Holmes although aware of how impressive it may seem is always quick to explain to Watson how simple it really is and it is only through a practiced pattern of thought he is able to make the conclusions he does, and not by some inhuman miracle.
Back to top Go down

Holmes directory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holmes directory   Holmes directory I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 10:24 pm

wow thanks for the link
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Holmes directory Empty
PostSubject: Re: Holmes directory   Holmes directory I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Holmes directory
Page 1 of 1