|Subject: Shock Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:10 pm|| |
Shock may result from trauma, heatstroke, blood loss, an allergic reaction, severe infection, poisoning, severe burns or other causes. When a person is in shock, his or her organs aren't getting enough blood or oxygen, which if untreated, can lead to permanent organ damage or death.Various signs and symptoms appear in a person experiencing shock:
If you suspect shock, even if the person seems normal after an injury:
- The skin is cool and clammy. It may appear pale or gray.
- The pulse is weak and rapid. Breathing may be slow and shallow, or hyperventilation (rapid or deep breathing) may occur. Blood pressure is below normal.
- The person may be nauseated. He or she may vomit.
- The eyes lack luster and may seem to stare. Sometimes the pupils are dilated.
- The person may be conscious or unconscious. If conscious, the person may feel faint or be very weak or confused. Shock sometimes causes a person to become overly excited and anxious.
- Call 911 or your local emergency number.
- Have the person lie down on his or her back with feet about a foot higher than the head. If raising the legs will cause pain or further injury, keep him or her flat. Keep the person still.
- Check for signs of circulation (breathing, coughing or movement). If absent, begin CPR.
- Keep the person warm and comfortable. Loosen belt and tight clothing and cover the person with a blanket. Even if the person complains of thirst, give nothing by mouth.
- Turn the person on his or her side to prevent choking if the person vomits or bleeds from the mouth.
- Seek treatment for injuries, such as bleeding or broken bones.