Heroes Network
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Network for Real Life Superheroes to have a place to socialize, network, and also teach and learn from each other.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Brief introduction to the RLSH community

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
C

C

Brief introduction to the RLSH community Empty
PostSubject: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Hello. I am C, the head of The Sector; a small supporter group of the RLSH.

I formed The Sector 2.5 years ago when I joined the RLSH community. As a supporter group, we mainly offer 3 things to the RLSH: Software development, money donations and general feedback and advice. For example, taking time to write this text, is part of the kind of support that we do. Take a look at sectortools.com to see if there's anything else we can help you with.

Let me be completely frank with you from the start. I've written this text as a "brief introduction to the RLSH community" to newcomers, in an attempt to prevent you from leaving the community again. Because I see that happens way too often. People join the community with an idea about who and what the RLSH are, only to be repeatedly disappointed and discouraged and ultimately just leave again, taking with them a rather negative impression of the whole community. I'm hoping that by writing this, and have you read it, you won't end up leaving again. And that will, in my opinion, be good for both you and the community.

Let me first express my deepest respect. I think you're awesome just for having the interest in the RLSH. That alone tells me you're an altruistic kind of person. There aren't that many of us in the world, who wants to spend our time and/or resources helping strangers. I'm going to guess, that when you discovered the RLSH community, you probably thought something along the lines of "Wow! Finally a community full of people just like me! These guys ROCK! I gotta be with them! They're like MY FAMILY!".

And wouldn't that be awesome. Sadly, it's very far from the truth. The community is nothing like that. If you believe it is, then you will definitely be very disappointed when you learn that it's not. Especially because of the way you'll learn it: By receiving multiple rude disrespectful comments to basically whatever you have to say or do.
That will of course discourage you, and then you'll quickly lose interest in contributing anything to the community - and then you'll simply leave the community again. And that's sadly a scenario I've seen happening too much.

Let me explain why it happens, and then why it doesn't have to happen to you after having read this.

First thing you need to understand, is that the community is huge now! It consists of just about as many different people as you'll find anywhere else in the world. And as with everything else that gets (too) big, it's bound to break apart - into smaller fractions that then operates on their own - and this is the case with the RLSH community too. It used to be much smaller and cozy. You can stumble across vets that'll talk about the good old days where everyone knew each other. Well it's not like that anymore. Nowadays it's grown extremely big, resulting in people disagreeing a lot more, and therefor forming their own "camps". So the community is far from one thing nowadays. Instead it consists of multiple (opposing) "camps" now. And this has two consequences:

1) Whatever it is you're looking for - you most probably CAN find within the community. It "just" requires some looking around.
2) During this looking around, you WILL run into all the people from other "camps" that dislikes whatever other "camp" it is you're looking for. And sadly, despite this being a community of socalled heroes, they rarely act or behaves accordingly. Meaning, they WILL send you a lot of rude and disrespectful comments along the way. They probably already know of the existence of the "camp" you'd fit right into, but they'll never tell you.

Apart from that, this community also has the mandatory trolls who'll just criticize anything about you as much as they can, as long as you'll let them. And this brings me to the most important part of it all:

Do not under any circumstances ever engage yourself in discussions with any of these people posting the rude disrespectful comments. There is only one right action you should take when you encounter this: Block the person(s), and continue your search. Trust me! Any other action is completely useless, and will only be a complete waste of time and energy. Just block and move on.

And that's basically it.

Now you know why you'll encounter these not-so-hero-like behaviors, and hopefully you won't be too discouraged when you do.
Now you know that they do not at all represent the community, but only a small part of it. A part that you're not interested in anyway, so their opinion doesn't matter. Don't waste your time on it. Just block and move on.
Now you know, that despite what some people might tell you, whatever it is you're looking for in the community is most probably here in some form.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sectortools.com
Tothian
President & Founder of the Heroes Network
Tothian

Titles : Real Life Superhero, Marine Corps Veteran, Warrior
Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2013 9:39 pm

I edited this to make it posted as a Sticky.

It's very well said and I would like for new people to see it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.Tothian.com

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 12:48 am

Contrivance, I'm honored that you're here. You have a voice of wisdom that many need to hear.

I didn't mean to make that rhyme. But I'm glad that you took the time.

All My Best.
Stay Safe and Stay Sharp,

Geist
Back to top Go down
C

C

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 2:44 am

Thank you for the recognition Geist. That means a lot to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sectortools.com
Hazop Ranger

Hazop Ranger

Titles : RLSH. 7 of Spades. High School DIPLOMA Dabrowski; Kawaler of the Kingdom of Poland. Halo 3 Field Major.
Mission : G.I. JOE patriotism, U.N.S.C./RuneScape\Neopets/City of Heroes\Roleplayerguild peering, F.E.A.R. synergy, and maintaining being an noble Earthling.

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 09, 2013 4:14 pm

Who are the veterans?

And meh to the camps, that just shows that there're/were heroes just like you. It should give you a moral boost if anything.

The ones that put you in a "camp" are in a "camp" of their own as well. *shrugs* Havnt come across anyone rude.

Here's a fun thought: if we get put into a "camp" by another then techniclly subliminaly they just put us in their "camp". Because they acknowledged us. I could be wrong though. Thanks C!
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

Mission : Serve God, fight evil, protect people, help the Real Life Superhero Community

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 2:22 am

Sound Hound,

It depends when you get to know more people and know them better, you get to see good and bad traits.

And there's other aspects of this community but I often keep neutral from them. Some people I don't necessarily agree with certain things about them. But there's not really much to gain from starting problems with them.

Best idea to just focus on being friends to the people you get along with and go from there. You'll be happier and find yourself more productive.
Back to top Go down
Hazop Ranger

Hazop Ranger

Titles : RLSH. 7 of Spades. High School DIPLOMA Dabrowski; Kawaler of the Kingdom of Poland. Halo 3 Field Major.
Mission : G.I. JOE patriotism, U.N.S.C./RuneScape\Neopets/City of Heroes\Roleplayerguild peering, F.E.A.R. synergy, and maintaining being an noble Earthling.

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 4:24 pm

probably.

mmmbut any sort of comment on this topic but from the original will just be oppinions.

maybe we shouldnt call it camps, what are we Germany again?

I'm part of Generation B.

Shouldnt label Generation A veterans, because then they'll expect respect hands down. Titles of any "honorary" sense are demeaning to the RLSH life.

"I'm a veteran in this RLSH movement."
"Its not a movement. Go to sleep."
Back to top Go down
Hazop Ranger

Hazop Ranger

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 4:26 pm

I used to be neutral like that Tothian, then I made the personal choice to not judge myself.
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Sound Hound,

Well it goes both ways. On one hand, those who have been around a very long time would get treated like newbies from the newbies, either because of their age or personality quirks, or stuff like that. Despite putting years of effort in to training, patrolling, missions, risking and sacrificing and experiencing a lot.

On the other hand, it doesn't help the community (haha - definitely NOT a "movement") if the Veterans (for lack of a better word, so that you know what I'm talking about) treat the newbies without courtesy just because those Veterans feel that those newer people haven't earned respect yet.

There are 2 types of respect. One is the courtesy you give to others, even to strangers and anyone you encounter even if you know them very well. The other one is the type of respect that is earned.

So I think it works best when the respect goes both ways, in a sense. The Veterans treat the newer people with respect so that they know that they're in a welcoming community that will attract more people. On the other hand, it also helps when the newer people show a sense of respect to those who have been around a while and trust in some of their consultations. And then the other thing that also helps, not to contradict what I just said but to mix in with it, also to be honest and self-expressive and stand up for what we believe in.

We don't always have to agree, but when we're open to discussing these things, we promote more discussion and in the process we teach and learn from each other.
Back to top Go down
Hazop Ranger

Hazop Ranger

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 12:31 am

Acknowledged.

There's one more way of respect. I have no doubt that the general population will argue that its not respect. But being as one of these practitioners Idc.
You can show respect to people regardless of where they stand in yer life by just being yourself. That is respect right there. "in a sense" some say.

Not saying Im a dick but if I was I'd be like that to everyone. Everyone. It may not be the best way to hadle strangers, but some people do belive that being fake and wearing a plastoid smile towards strangers is disrespecting them/their honor.

Now Im no dick, but I can be dark I will admit. Sorry when I am, Tothian.

Im not good with advice. Everywhere I go people are always telling me what to do how to do it and in some rare cases where and when to do it.

Im my own human being. Everytime they tell me this way I do it another way. I will not bow. Sure lots andlots of people are genuinly nice about whatever they bestow upon the "learner" but they always utterly undermine the individuals themselves.

I feel like this is how it happens. One day someone tells someone how to relatively fix something in a simple manor with the learner showing esteemed appreciation and then from that day forward the teacher feels so self-righteous that they then tend to make it a habit.

I've had that self-righteous feeling but I dropped it. I dont need to be the next person who automaticly thinks this person(the learner) wants their input. I really do belive to be human is to figure it out on yer own. Otherwise society domesticates YOU.

Thats just how I think and live.
Some people live in a world of God.
Some people dont.
Some people belive in something else.
Some people are willing to voice that all things belived in is one in the same.
Some call that being a witch.

If there isnt a god    okay whatever. If there is    okay whatever. I just live. What seperates me from an animal though is I CHOSE my path not CHOOSE but CHOSE.

(it may be a little tough to swallow, whoever you are that has read this, but that's on you.)

Lol luckily I like talking to anyone thats wiling to talk to me.

Last edited by Secular Dragon on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : "was" made it seem like it'd not happen again- thats impossible control. "godamn" was racist.)
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 1:10 am

Sound Hound,

You don't need to apologize. You were just being yourself, and this is what I enjoy, lots of good interesting discussions here.

You do make a good point about how it's bad when people wear fake smiles to strangers. That isn't good. BUT only if it's fake. Being kind to strangers is good, but I do think it should be supplemented with being genuine. I do agree with you that people should just be honest and self-expressive in who they are. That's what I prefer to see from people.

It's alright to be a dick. But it's not alright to be a prick. For more information on what I'm talking about with that dick vs. prick theory, ask me privately.
Back to top Go down
Hazop Ranger

Hazop Ranger

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Na not interested.

Well put
Back to top Go down
Tothian
Tothian

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 03, 2013 6:06 pm

Hahaha. Just now saw your reply. And the theory is just an obvious reference to the different kinds of people and actions that relate to them.

And thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brief introduction to the RLSH community   Brief introduction to the RLSH community I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brief introduction to the RLSH community
Page 1 of 1